Flavorful, light, moist, and guaranteed to be a hit at your holiday gathering! You can enhance the orange flavor of this recipe with our Whole Fruit Blood Orange Olive Oil or our Cara-Cara Orange Vanilla Balsamic!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest, from an untreated orange
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Gran Marnier or Cointreau
- Pinch of sea salt
- Powdered sugar
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan lined with parchment.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until light in color. Add the olive oil, orange juice, zest, vanilla and almond extract and stir to blend.
- Combine the flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt in a separate bowl. Add to the wet ingredients, stirring to blend without over-mixing. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the cake is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes clean, about 45 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze. Combine the sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan. Simmer until the sugar dissolves and the liquid reduces to a syrupy consistency, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the Gran Marnier and sea salt and simmer 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Transfer the cake from the oven to a wire rack. Brush the top with the glaze and cool 10 minutes. Remove the sides of the pan, then brush the cake on the sides with the glaze. Cool completely.
- Serve dusted with confectioners sugar and/or with a dollop whipped cream. If desired, add a tablespoon of the (thoroughly cooled) glaze to the cream while whipping.
Photo and Recipe by: tastefoodblog.com